Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hiding Places

(written: September 1, 2006)

EVERYONE HIDES.

That's a fact of life. HOW we hide is a different story.

I know a woman who hides behind hair extensions, fake nails and colored contact lenses. She's a beautiful woman, but you'd never tell because she looks like such a Barbie. She also hides what could be a lovely personality behind bitterness, jealousy and pettiness. There's not much to enjoy in her company anymore, and what's worse, no one can tell her.

A good friend of mine is hiding behind loneliness. She is planning to marry a man she does not love. He is not a nice man. He's very conniving, making decisions for both of them, then apologizing after the fact. I won't go into detail but you know what I mean. I think she's afraid she won't find love if she lets this man go. I love her dearly, but know that she needs to make her own decisions. That's the hardest part.

Another friend of mine hides behind what he calls "his career". He's been working away at the same job for 20 years-- moving from city to city. He keep saying he'll think about "settling down" once he finds a city he likes. He's still looking for that city.

Do I hide? You'd better believe it! I hide behind the biggest wall of all - my weight. I packed it on when I got pregnant and never lost it. It comes in handy when I want to be invisible, because no one looks twice at an overweight woman. I've tried to lose weight a countless number of times. But I realize, I really DON'T want to lose weight. I don't want attention. I like being invisible. I don't even mind the sneering looks I get from trim, fit people who think I'm a lazy slob. Let them. They don't know me. I don't care what they think.

I hide in my shell. Will someone crack it?

No comments:

Post a Comment